Friends of Fort Worden
Good things are afoot at the Fort!
Washington State Parks and the Fort Worden Public Development Authority (PDA) have reached agreement and signed a management lease for the campus area.
The PDA is charged with both renovating the historic buildings and populating them with partner organizations that are consistent with the Park's mission as a life-long learning center. The natural areas - beaches, forests and historic batteries - as well as the campgrounds will remain as they have always been as a cherished state park.
The Friends of Fort Worden State Park is a registered 501(c)3 non-profit organization that supports park improvements and programs using funds raised on-site through fund raising activities such as its Gift Shop located in the Old Guardhouse Visitor Center and the annual wine and cider tasting, in addition to tax-deductible contributions received through its annual membership program as well as one-time donations.
Fort Worden State Park and Conference Center, located in the scenic Victorian seaport of Port Townsend, offers a unique blend of art, history, recreation and natural resources.
Situated along the southeastern shoreline of Juan de Fuca Straight, at the entrance to Admiralty Inlet, Fort Worden gives its visitors an exceptional experience of spectacular views, expansive beaches and an unbelievable array of facilities.
As stewards of Fort Worden State Park, the non-profit Friends of Fort Worden provide both financial and volunteer support for park improvements and programs not funded by the state parks system. The Friends work closely with park management to identify key projects that support the park. The Friends of Fort Worden is one of seventeen Friends Groups supporting Washington State parks and properties.
Past and Ongoing Accomplishments:
- Provided funding in support of the development and implementation of the Master Plan for Fort Worden.
- Contributed to the restoration of Building 202 to serve as a higher education center.
- Provided support for the implementation of the Master Plan by the Fort Worden PDA.
- Continuing to contribute towards projects that went unfunded by the State that benefitted the Park which include:
- Provided hardware for a wireless Wi-Fi system that serves Officer’s Row, the Park office and the Guardhouse Gift Shop and Visitor Center ($8,000) as well as supporting on-going Wi-Fi access for several resident not-for-profit organizations in the Park.
- Purchased historic furniture to complement the restoration of Alexander’s Castle an iconic historic building in Park.
- Provided financial support for the restoration of several Officers Row housing units as well as for the Bliss Vista renovation.
- Providing "Doggy-Pot" bags for dog-walkers.
- Provided 50-amp service to a park host camping site for our volunteers.
- Ongoing operation of Visitor Center and Gift Shop at Guardhouse.
- Brick Paver Fund Raiser Project
- Trail maintenance and development of signage
- Building restoration
- Oral History Program
- Resurfacing the tennis courts
- Support special events
The Gift Shop at Fort Worden State Park, the Fort Worden Brick Paver Fund Raiser, membership dues and donations provide on-going sources of project funds. Visit our Newsletter Archive to read more about our projects and activities.
Our work is also supported by tax-deductible membership dues and donations.
For online shoppers, the service iGive offers an additional opportunity to support the Friends of Fort Worden. A percentage of every purchase made from their extensive list of participating merchants will be contributed to the Friends of Fort Worden. Visit iGive.com for details on how your shopping dollars can help us help the Fort.
If you value all that Fort Worden has
to offer, please consider becoming a
Member or making a donation today!